Race Day Schedule
6:45 AM Registration Begins
7:30 AM Survivor Breakfast (open until 10:00 a.m.)
7:45 AM 1 Mile Walk
8:30 AM 5K Run/Walk
8:45 AM Aerobic Cool-Down
9:15 AM Awards Ceremony
9:40 AM Survivor Recognition Ceremony and Photo
What is the Komen Race for the Cure ®
The Komen Race for the Cure® is a run/walk dedicated to saving lives and ending breast cancer forever. On a national scale, the Komen Race for the Cure Series is the world's largest and most successful education and fundraising event for breast cancer. This year celebrates the 23rd Annual Komen Atlanta Race for the Cure and we look forward to an exciting event.
When is the Race?
The Komen Atlanta Race for the Cure® will be held at Atlantic Station on Saturday, May 11th.
What is a Team?
A team is any group of 10 people or more who want to participate in the Race. This group may consist of friends, family, co-workers, church and civic groups, schools, children or any combination thereof. Both men and women can participate in both events - 5K run/walk and the 1-mile walk. There is no limit to the number of members you can have on your team.
How do I register?
Participants have two options for registration - online or by mail.
- Online registration will streamline the process for the team captain and the team member, and will eliminate all paperwork! To register a team online, visit http://www.komenatlanta.org/, click on the "Click Here" above the runner picture, then "Form a Team" if you are the first member to register, enter your Team Name and, if applicable, associate the team with a Company. Next, select your participation type and enter the discount code if your employer is paying for all or part of the registration fee. Then enter your contact information, using your HOME mailing address, accept the participant waiver and complete the transaction by providing billing information. Once completed, you will recieve an e-mail comfirmation. Additional team members will click "Join an Existing Team", "Search for a Team", then select the Team Name and complete the same process, entering contact information, accepting the participant waiver and completing the transaction.
- Individuals may also register for the Race by visiting http://www.komenatlanta.org/, clicking on the Race for the Cure icon, then "Register as an Individual", selecting the participation type, providing contact information, accepting the participant waiver and completing the transaction with billing information. Once completed, you will recieve an e-mail confirmation.
Online registration ends Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 5 p.m.
- Paper entry forms will be available in early March. For teams who want to register by mail, each team member must complete an original entry form. Team captains then collect signed Race entry forms and entry fees from each person - check forms for completeness and accuracy of team name. We must have original signatures on each form. All entry forms and registration fees (do not send cash) must be submitted together in one envelope and postmarked no later than April 20, 2013. If a team member submits an individual entry form independently, the fee WILL NOT be credited to the team or refunded. Team captains can contact the Komen office at (404) 459-8700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request print applications.
For team questions, email email@example.com.
How much does it cost to participate?
*Kids (12 and under): $20
Late Registration (online only): April 20 at 5pm - May 8 at 5pm
*Kids (12 and under): $25
Race Day Registration: May 11
*Kids (12 and under): $25
*Kids for the Cure is limited to the first 750 registered.
Sleep for the Cure Registration is $40.
Paper Applications should be postmarked by April 20th.
Online registration will close on Wednesday, May 8 at 5pm.
How do I receive my race number?
Race numbers will be mailed to participants if registered by Saturday, April 20, 2013. People who register after April 20th can pick up their numbers on Race day. We strongly encourage participants to register prior to April 20th to avoid lines on race day.
How do breast cancer survivors get involved?
The Komen Atlanta Race for the Cure® is dedicated to breast cancer survivors and we have an entire morning of special activities planned just for them. We encourage any breast cancer survivors to participate in these activities. A full list of survivor activities will be posted in February.
- Survivor Sunrise Breakfast beginning at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast provided by Holiday Inn Express
- Wear Survivor Recognition items that include the honorary pink t-shirt and cap, which can be picked up prior to each Race on 17th street or in the VIP/Survivor tent following the Race.
- Survivor Recognition Ceremony beginning at 9:40 a.m.
How can I honor those touched by breast cancer?
"In Celebration Of" and "In Memory Of" back signs will be mailed to participants in their race number packet and will also be available prior to the Race start for all participants. These can be picked up at the "In Celebration Of" and "In Memory Of" table. We also encourage teams to design banners and t-shirts featuring your VIP breast cancer survivor.
Does everyone on the team have to run or walk together for the entire race?
NO. You do not have to participate as a group on the course, but are welcome to do so and encouraged to carry signs or banners recognizing your team.
What if we are not serious runners?
The Komen Atlanta Race for the Cure® is a walker-friendly race. We ask individuals who are walking to join the back of the Race. For the safety of participants, inline skates and pets are NOT allowed at the event. Strollers are discouraged for the 5K, but welcome in the 1-mile.
Can we participate in the race - and not run or walk?
Yes - and we have several options of participation. Encourage non-runners to sign up for the Sleep for the Cure program. Registration for Sleep for the Cure is $40, and these participants will receive a Komen Atlanta Race for the Cure t-shirt, which will be mailed in the weeks after Race day. Also, we have many volunteer opportunities on Race day, and welcome all support. To volunteer on Race day with set-up and organization, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can we bring strollers?
Strollers are welcome for the 1-mile walk, but are strongly discouraged from the 5K.
If participating in the 5K with a stroller, we ask that you begin the Race in the back to avoid collisions.
Do I have to register my child?
If your child will walk any part of the Race course, you must register them and they must have a Race number. Also, if you would like your child, 12 and under, to participate in the Kids Korral, you must register them so that they have a Race Number.
If your child will be in a stroller for the entire Race, you do not need to register them.
What is Kids for the Cure?
Children 12 and under can register for the Race for the Cure for just $20, which includes a youth-sized t-shirt. Kids may also enjoy the special Kids for the Cure tent in the Expo area following the Race where they can participate in a craft project and receive their goodie bag. Kids for the cure registration is limited to the first 750 registered. PARENTAL SUPERVISION IS REQUIRED THROUGHOUT THE RACE AND IN THE KIDS KORRAL.
Why raise pledge money?
The registration fee is just the first step to a successful Race. Participants can help raise more funds for the fight against breast cancer by securing pledges. We encourage participants to raise at least $125 in pledge money. Online pledging is available, and the easiest way to track your donations, and recognize donors. Encourage supporters to visit http://www.komenatlanta.org/, click "Race for the Cure", "Find a Participant to Sponsor", and enter the participant's name. They will then be prompted to enter their gift amount and billing information.
Participants are also encouraged to secure corporate support. Many companies offer a matching gift program. We ask that you seek out this opportunity, and help raise even more for breast cancer.
Additionally, individuals receive pledge prizes. There are incentive prizes for raising $100, $400, $700, and $1000+. To be considered for a pledge prize, donations must be received by May 31, 2011, and must include the participant's name.
Most Frequently Asked Question on Race Morning - WHERE'S MY TEAM?
With more than 18,000 people on site Race morning, it's easy to lose your team members. Prior to Race day, select a time and designate a meeting place in Atlantic Station, and let all your team members know. For the meeting place, we recommend selecting a store front. For a list and map of Atlantic Station, visit http://www.atlanticstation.com/.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Please call Komen Atlanta at (404) 459-8700 or e-mail email@example.com.